Monday, April 1, 2013

Jurassic Park 3D


On Saturday (March 30) I had the privilege of attending an advance screening of Jurassic Park in 3D. The tickets for San Diego were already claimed, but I acquired four up in La Jolla.

I was apprehensive prior to arriving at the theater.
 Like everyone else my age I had seen the movie before (although not in theaters, as I was only three years old for the original release), so I knew what to expect as far as storyline... but I was worried that the 3D may not actually look very good added in so long after filming. (Sidenote: This is a valid concern, since I am still not over my disappointment from the 3D version of The Nightmare Before Christmas back in 2007).

Luckily, I was in for a very pleasant surprise! Aside from a few minor visual problems I noticed where it looked forced, the film proceeded smoothly. It wasn't clear that the newer technology had been layered on afterward at all!

One of the best aspects of the entire screening, though, was the stark contrast between 1993 (the original release) and now, 20 years later. For example, when the children are checking out the technology in the jeep and explain "Oh! It's an interactive CD-ROM!" everyone in the theater started laughing. Now no one would even think twice about such a thing! But in so many ways, Jurassic Park incorporated state-of-the-art technology when it first released. So if nothing else, it's worth attending just to take note of how much our cinema has evolved over the past two decades. 

No comments:

Post a Comment